Tuesday 25 January 2011

Pre-Production Update

The research has been an interesting experience so far which has given me the opportunity to dive into an area of art that I haven't experienced before. This week I have been focused on the style of the show. As I mentioned in my previous post I had wanted to set the show in an Afro-Caribbean Hairdresser. I wanted the style which I was given (woodcut) to be influenced by African art and was blessed when I found a book in the Library called "The African Dream" by the artist John Muafangejo. I was imidediatly captivated by his beautiful yet simplistic black and white woodcuts.

Examples of his work:




I have also gathered a huge number of reference images, which explore African paintings that I had been looking into for the bright and beautiful expressive colours and how they were incorporated in the works.

Here are a few of examples:




I had also been working on the character designs of Pie and exploring other character ideas within the show in my sketchbook and when I went into my lecture and showed my tutor I was told to dive into the character design aspect further. I was encouraged to inspect the shape of pie's (as the character personifies elements of a pie) and come up with some designs from them, which is the stage that I am currently working on now.

Here some of the initial sketch designs from before and after the lecture:


The image above was drawn before the lecture. During the lecture I was told it was best to work on the head first which is why most of the images (below) are concentrating on the face.


The class was given an exercise on creating different types of characters through head shapes and face features.


Here are a few character designs for the show while keeping the exercise given to me in mind.


I would like to start on my mood board this week (while working on the character designs from Pie's as reference) as I feel like I have gathered more than enough images and ideas and would like to move onto the development side of the project and continue to research what interests me as I move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment